WSU Housing and Residence Life

Housing and Residential Life

SSA Handbook

View PDF

Single Student Housing Handbook


Welcome to Washington State University and your new home in University Apartments. The staff of the Housing Services works to provide you with a comfortable, safe and convenient apartment while attending the University.

We want you to have as much freedom as possible in your personal life, while assuring a satisfactory and comfortable life for the entire community. To ensure this, we ask that you keep in mind the rights and privileges of other residents. Since this is a long-term housing community providing homes for many students for years to come, the University must see that its interests concerning the property and reputation of its units are respected. The operation and management of the community depends on the cooperation of its residents. Because the University wants to maintain good will and keep its relationship with residents at the highest possible level, we welcome ideas directed toward the betterment of the community.

Communication plays an important role in establishing positive relationships. Therefore, we will keep you informed on all matters affecting the welfare of the community. When we find it necessary to make changes in policy or regulations, we will notify you. Ordinarily, we will post notices on bulletin boards and in public areas. Depending on the nature of the subject matter, we may deliver or mail letters to individual residents or use the online student portal.


To better facilitate communication and programming, Housing Services staffs each apartment complex with an Apartment Coordinator. The coordinator acts as liaison between the residents and Housing Services in matters affecting the livability and use of the facilities and is responsible for the general welfare of the residents living in the complex. The coordinator assists the residents and Housing Services in preventing unauthorized, illegal, or improper use of the facilities.

Coordinators are also responsible for planning a variety of community building events throughout the year, such as barbecues, holiday celebrations, and other activities depending on the needs of the community.

Residents of university-operated apartments should feel free at any time to contact the Apartment Coordinator living in their area with concerns and questions regarding physical facilities, community living, and student services offered by WSU.

If you have any questions after reading this booklet, please call or visit your Apartment Coordinator:

WSU Apartment Complexes





Chief Joseph



Chinook (south) P-Z



Chinook (north) A-N









Nez Perce



Steptoe (East) a-f, k-p



Steptoe (West) g-j, q-x






Valley Crest








If you have or are thinking about purchasing a window air conditioner, please remember - ALL window air conditioners must be installed by housing maintenance personnel, and there will be a $50.00 charge of installation and supplies. Call (335-1541) to make an appointment for installation. Air conditioners cannot be placed in bedroom windows.


For current information, please review the Single Student Apartment Termination and Checkout Information.

Apartments must be cleaned according to the procedures found under "Care and Maintenance." All trash and personal property must be removed from the apartment, balcony, deck, and patio. Storage units must be thoroughly cleaned and all items removed. You will be assessed any costs incurred by the University for cleaning and removal of personal property after you vacate the rental unit.

All keys must be returned to the Reservations office at Streit-Perham the day of checkout, or the drop box outside of Streit-Perham building. After business hours, keys may be placed in the key box outside of the Housing Services entry at Streit-Perham. (Failure to return all keys at this time will result in a lock change fees.)

The U.S. Post Office and the University should be advised of your new address at least three weeks in advance of departure to ensure your mail will not be delivered to a vacated apartment. No keys will be issued for the purpose of mail retrieval after you move.

Housing Services should be provided with a forwarding address, so that refunds can be mailed to you. You can do this by updating your mailing address before you check out of your apartment on your myWSU account.

If you are present at the time of checkout, damage or cleaning charges may be reviewed with the Housing Services staff person conducting the checkout. Damage and cleaning charges will be deducted from your damage deposit. If you are not present for the checkout, the findings of the Housing Services will prevail.

You are responsible for contacting utility and telephone companies to discontinue services.


Garbage and trash collection is included in the monthly charge. Please use the dumpsters located throughout your area for the deposit of all trash and garbage. The dumpsters will be emptied weekly by a local sanitation service. Recycling bins are also available in all apartment complexes.


Alternatives to Violence


Alternatives to Violence (ATV) serve victims of sexual assault and domestic violence in Whitman and Latah Counties. Advocates are available 24 hours a day to help victims. Services are confidential and free. ATV provides a safe shelter for persons who are unable to live in their own homes due to threat of violence or sexual assault. If you or a friend needs us, we'll be there.

Crisis Line

Phone: (509)-332-1505

When you need to talk call (332-1505). The crisis line offers 24-hours crisis service for callers who need to talk as well as a consultation and referral service that connects callers with appropriate university and community agencies.

Counseling Services

Phone: (509)-335-4511

Counseling Services offers students the opportunity to explore many areas of concern -- personal, social, educational, substance abuse -- with a professional counselor. A variety of personal growth opportunities are available; these include counseling and support groups, psychological testing, and presentations and workshops that address academic, interpersonal and social issues. Crisis consultation is available on a 24-hour basis. The counseling process is confidential.

Office of University Ombudsman

Phone: (509)-335-1195

The University Ombudsman is an independent, impartial observer appointed to help resolve problems that may arise in a large, bureaucratic organization like the University. Students, staff, or faculty members may contact the Ombudsman's Office for confidential assistance with a problem or a grievance, or with suggestions about how to make WSU procedures more equitable and sensitive to individual needs. The Ombudsman's Office is especially helpful with problems that have not been resolved through normal channels. The Ombudsman does not replace University appeal procedures but functions as a source of information and help concerning rules, regulations, and procedures of the University.

Re-Entry Program

Phone: (509)-335-1464

The Re-Entry Program assists students who have been away from an educational setting by providing information, referrals, and other assistance. Our goal is to help students meet the challenge of their multiple roles of student, spouse, parent, employee, etc.

Health and Wellness Services

Medical Clinic: (509)-335-3575

Health and Wellness Services Medical Clinic provides board certified physicians and experienced healthcare providers for your health care concerns and needs. Health and Wellness Services also provides multiple other services, but is not limited to, same day appointments, laboratory and x-ray testing, nutrition counseling, immunizations, behavioral health testing, Vision Clinic, Pharmacy and much more. Health & Wellness Services is located in the Washington Building on NE Washington St and its Medical Clinic is open Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm and Saturday (urgent care only) 9:00am - 1:00pm. For more information please go to

WSU Police

Business: (509)-335-8548

Emergency: 911

The WSU Police Department provides all police functions for the University. In addition, it serves as a visitor information center, conducts crime prevention discussions, and provides fingerprinting for employment applications and retrieval of keys locked inside vehicles.


State and University policy states that all state buildings be supplied with heat up to 72deg. Housing Services Maintenance will not respond to calls to increase winter heating levels above that temperature.

Requests for additional heat under special circumstances (such as illness) will be considered when possible. Maintenance will do everything possible to obtain the maximum comfort temperature as long as you keep windows and doors closed.


All Housing Offices listed below operate from 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday - Friday; except University Holidays.

Housing Services


Housing Financial Services


Housing Reservations


Housing Maintenance



Housing Services strongly recommends that you obtain "Renter's Insurance" covering your personal possessions from damage due to fire, water, burglary, vandalism, theft or other causes, as Housing Services shall not be liable for any such loss or damage.


When you move into your apartment, you will find a completed inventory form in the kitchen. For your own protection, take time to review it. This form should list the condition of all furnishings and note any damage to your apartment or its contents. Add any damages or missing items not already listed on the form. Sign and return the form within one week to the Reservations office at Housing Services in the Streit-Perham Building. This procedure ensures that you will not be charged for these damages or missing items when you check out. Any damages NOT noted on the form at the beginning of occupancy will be assumed to have occurred during occupancy and will be charged to you.

Residents will be billed for the replacement cost of any University-supplied item not accounted for at checkout. After you turn in your inventory form, any further damage that occurs during your occupancy that you feel is not your responsibility should be reported in writing immediately to Housing Services in the Streit-Perham Building.

Damages include, but are not limited to, damages by repairmen, contractors, vandalism, storms, or faulty construction. If you do not report such damages, you will be charged for them when you move out. Damage done by your guests is your responsibility.


For current information, please review the section about keys in the Single Student Apartment Rental Agreement.


Centrally-located laundry rooms with coin-operated washers and dryers are provided in each area.

Please report out-of-order machines to the Housing Services Maintenance Office (509-335-1541). Place a sign on the machine indicating that the machine is out of order and has been reported. Exterior clotheslines are prohibited in all apartment complexes. Clothes racks may be used for drying on the decks but must be removed when not in use.

Please do not prop laundry room doors open. Laundry facilities are only for the residents of your apartment complex.


Housing Services personnel maintain the lawn and grounds in all University Housing areas. Do not use the grounds in such a way as to cause damage. The only acceptable place to plant flowers or vegetables is in small planter boxes on your porch or in front of the apartment with the approval of your Apartment Coordinator. All residents are responsible for keeping all trash picked up within the complex.

Motor vehicle owners must refrain from driving vehicles on lawns and planted areas. No motor vehicles, including motorcycles or mopeds, will be permitted to park on the planted areas on University property. Please advise moving van and delivery truck drivers not to drive their trucks on the sidewalks and lawns. If a van damages the sidewalks or lawns, please advise Housing Services of the name of the van line and date of the occurrence so that corrective action can be taken against the company or movers; otherwise, the resident occupying the apartment will be charged.


Carriers from the Pullman post office deliver mail to the mailbox of each apartment provided you have your name on the mailbox. Mailboxes are normally grouped together in the vicinity of the apartments they serve.

When you vacate your unit, be sure to file a forwarding address (Post Office Departmental Form 3575) with the US Post Office at least three weeks prior to your move. The University does not forward mail delivered to University-operated apartments or issue keys to ex-residents for purposes of mail retrieval.


Housing Emergency Maintenance: (509)-335-1541

The Emergency Maintenance staff will respond after business hours to all facilities emergencies. A Trouble Shooter may call you to receive an accurate description of the emergency. Please utilize this service only in case of emergency.


Residents of single student housing can expect to hear normal noise from furniture being moved, people walking, and perhaps television, radio, or stereo between the hours of 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. Outside of these hours, reasonable quiet for studying and sleeping is expected.

Residents are encouraged to monitor both the level of noise and the time of day when creating noise.

If you experience what you consider to be unreasonable noise from a neighbor, please talk to them personally. If the noise problem continues, you may wish to ask the Apartment Coordinator to help. The Coordinator will assess the noise, and, if necessary, speak to the resident.

If the Coordinator is unable to help you and your neighbor reach a solution, the matter will be taken to the Associate Director of Housing and/or their designee for further action. Noise problems of an unresolved or severe nature may result in the termination of the rental agreement.


For current information, please visit the Apartment Parking section on our web site


Parking space normally exists near your apartment complex for one car; however, availability is not guaranteed. In some complexes space is available for a second car, small trailers, boats, and small RV's in overflow parking areas.


You must apply for parking decals from Transportation Services each fall and throughout the year on an as-needed basis. Decals are valid for one academic year. To receive a decal, you must provide a current vehicle registration indicating that the vehicle belongs to either you or your parents. The decal does not replace the commuter decal required for on-campus parking and authorizes parking only in the lot or lots serving the complex where you live. Renewal decals must be obtained each year prior to the first day of classes in the fall semester.

Mopeds, motorcycles, cars, and other vehicles without appropriate decals parked in residential lots will be ticketed by Transportation Services. This serves to relieve congestion by discouraging the parking of unauthorized vehicles.

Visitor parking permits for apartment area lots are available from your Apartment Coordinator and the Housing Reservation's Office in the Streit-Perham building.


If you find bugs or rodents in your apartment please call Housing Maintenance at 509-335-1541.

WSU reserves the right to treat your apartment if the University Environmental Health Department has determined that a problem requiring treatment exists within a building or complex.

Residents will be notified in advance and a date will be scheduled for the work. You will be notified of preparations to be made before treatment. If you do not complete the preparations before the scheduled treatment takes place, the cost of the work will be charged to you.

Preparations for Cockroach Treatment

  • Floors must be washed.
  • Stoves and refrigerators must be pulled out and cleaned under and behind. Leave appliances out.
  • Empty ALL items from ALL kitchen and bathroom cabinets, cupboards, drawers, etc. and CLEAN Pull and leave drawers completely out.
  • Cover dishes and food items with a sheet or newspaper.
  • Cover fish tanks.
  • Move furniture and other items away from baseboards (approx. one foot (12 inches)).
  • Leave all windows closed.

Treatment of Premises

  • Authorized pest control materials are applied to cabinets, drawers, baseboards, behind appliances, etc.
  • Premises are fogged.

Re-Entry into Premises

  • Tenants must be out of premises for at least two hours after treatment is completed.
  • Open windows to air premises out.
  • Wash counter tops off.
  • DO NOT return dishes and food items to cabinets, drawers, etc. until completely dry. The applied materials will not come off surfaces after drying. Line bottom of cabinets and drawers with shelf liner or newspaper.
  • DO NOT wash cabinets, drawers, etc. after treatment.


For current information, please review the section about pets in the Single Student Apartment Contract.


Frozen Pipes

Do not turn the heat off. Sufficient heat must be maintained through the night and during periods of absence to prevent the interior temperature from dropping below 60° F.

During winter months, it may be helpful to leave your bathroom door open and to open all cupboard doors under the sink so heat can circulate under the pipes.

If pipes freeze due to your negligence, the necessary thawing and repair costs will be charged to you.

ALL RESIDENTS - IMPORTANT! - Cold Weather Precautions

If you leave your apartment for more than one day during the cold season, notify Housing Services Maintenance (509-335-1541) or your Apartment Coordinator so that an occasional check of your unit can be made. Such inspections protect both you and the University and are in accordance with the terms of the rental agreement.

If Housing Services is not informed of your absence and severe weather damage occurs to your empty unit, you will be held solely responsible and will be charged for any necessary repairs.


The resident must pay for costs of opening and repairing plumbing and other repairs that arise due to clogging or stoppage by any material, substance or object placed in the plumbing.


Payments can be made at using the "Pay" link on the housing website, by visiting the Streit-Perham cashier's office, or by mailing your check to Housing and Dining Services, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164-1722. Please indicate your student identification number on the check.

Account balances and transactions can be securely viewed on your myWSU account.

For the current payment schedule, please review the Single Student Apartments Monthly Rates.


Safety regulations are based upon common causes of fires in residential structures. They provide you with information to make you and your home fire-safe. If you have questions or desire further information on fire prevention or fire survival, please contact WSU Fire at 509-335-1766.

  • Portable space heaters are not permitted.
  • Heat producing appliances such as lamps, grow lights, or sun lamps, should not be operated in confined spaces or in close proximity to combustible material.
  • Electric cooking equipment such as hot plates and coffee pots must be placed on a non-combustible surface.
  • Do not burn candles near combustible material. When using candles, keep a close watch on them.
  • All exits, hallways, doorways, stairways, landings, and walkways must be kept free of obstructions or impediments to quick exit at all times. This includes aisles in storage rooms. The University reserves the right to remove items that create a hazard.
  • Apartments must be kept free from accumulation of rubbish and unwanted items.
  • Keep areas near electrical baseboard heaters clear of combustible materials at all times
  • Kitchen vent hoods, filters, ovens, and burners must be cleaned regularly and kept free of grease buildup.
  • Park vehicles no closer than 15 feet from a fire hydrant.
  • Keep electrical cords maintained in good condition.
  • Do not use extension cords as a substitute for fixed wiring. Do not run extension cords through walls, ceilings, floors, doorways, or windows. Extension cords should not be compressed, coiled, or constitute a tripping hazard.
  • Multiple outlet devices that plug directly into outlets are not permitted.
  • Extension cords must be no less than 16 gauge. Extension cords used with grounded electrical systems must have three-wire, three-prong, ground protection.
  • Electrical wires or fixtures must not be altered or modified.
  • Electrical faceplates must be replaced if damaged or missing.
  • Electrical breaker or fuse panels must be readily accessible and clearly marked. If they are not marked, notify Housing Services Maintenance.
  • Test the operation of each battery-powered smoke detector monthly to ensure performance, and change batteries when necessary.
  • Holiday decorations must be fireproofed or non-combustible.


A smoke detector has been installed in each apartment as an early warning fire detection device. State law requires a periodic check of the detector to ensure that it is working properly. Change the battery when necessary (usually once a year).

If the detector malfunctions for some reason other than a bad battery, please notify Housing Services Maintenance. If Housing Services Maintenance finds that you have tampered with the smoke detector or removed the battery, you will be charged for repair and/or replacement of battery. Persons who tamper with fire alarm systems/ smoke detectors are subject to civil penalties/ fines. The Fire Department will be notified when fire alarm systems/ smoke detectors have been tampered with.


The use of tobacco and nicotine products is not allowed in or around WSU Housing Apartment Complexes.

Washington state law (RCW Chapter 70.160) prohibits smoking in any University owned, leased, or rented public place or place of employment.

WSU Pullman's campus policy in Washington Administrative Code (WAC) Chapter 504-38 prohibits all forms of tobacco and any nicotine-delivery devices, including electronic cigarettes, in or on WSU Pullman campus grounds and state-owned vehicles and equipment. This includes noncontiguous WSU-owned property located within the city limits of Pullman, WA and within Whitman County.

View the complete WSU Pullman policy here:

Housing Services reserves the right to bill students who smoke in the apartment the costs associated with removing any odors, tar and nicotine residue, or any costs associated with replacing drapes, carpets, furniture, and painting walls.


Residents of Chief Joseph will find additional storage space located directly off the kitchen, but this is changing during the remodeling process; some storage will be inside the apartment, some storage will be outside in new storage areas.

Storage spaces for residents of Nez Perce, Chinook, and Columbia are located adjacent to deck areas in each apartment. Use only the storage space assigned to you.

Personal belongings may not be stored next to buildings, on lawns, or in stairwells. Couches and stuffed chairs may not be used or stored on decks or balconies.

Residents store their belongings at their own risk. The University does not accept responsibility for any lost, damaged, or stolen items.


For safety purposes, report inoperative street lights to the Housing Services Maintenance Department (335-1541).


For current telephone information, please visit our Utilities page.


For current terminations information, please visit the termination information page.


An application to transfer to another apartment may be granted if space exists. An online request to transfer must be completed prior to the transfer.

For more information about transfers, please view the terminations information.


For information about television cable and satellite systems, please visit the Utility Services page.


For information about apartment utilities, please visit the Utilities page.


If you intend to install a waterbed in your apartment, you must present evidence at check-in that you have waterbed liability protection in an amount of at least $50,000. Residents who bring water beds into University-owned housing facilities without presenting evidence of current insurance coverage will be required to remove the beds within three days or vacate the premises in accordance with provisions of the rental agreement.


For information about weapons and explosives, please review the Weapons section of the Single Student Apartment Agreement.



No additional material/equipment may be attached to the interior or exterior of walls, ceilings or floors without the written approval from the Associate Director of Housing and/or their designee. If approval is given, the material/equipment must be left with the unit at the termination of occupancy. The purpose of this practice is to avoid the installation and removal of items that would eventually cause an unsightly appearance to the walls, ceilings, and floors.


You may not barbecue on decks or balconies or store propane or propane operated grills. For more information about balconies, decks and patios, please review the Property/Liability section of the Single Student Apartment Agreement.

Motorcycles or other gasoline-powered vehicles cannot be stored on or near these areas. Residents are asked to refrain from using decks as storage areas, or from attaching clotheslines to exterior walls, posts, or frames.

Balconies and decks are not designed to support the weight of hot tubs or Jacuzzis, and should not be used for such purposes.


Carpets should be vacuumed once weekly or more often, depending on spillage and the amount of soil carried in. Spillage should be cleaned up immediately to prevent staining. Water should not be allowed to stand on either carpets or vinyl floors. This will damage the floor covering, and repair costs will be charged to the residents. The vinyl floor should be cleaned and mopped regularly but does not require waxing. We advise against the use of acrylic floor finishers and waxes containing solvents, as improper use of these products causes serious maintenance problems.


Do not place hot cooking utensils onto the counter tops and do not use the counter tops as cutting surfaces. You will be charged for any damage caused by misuse.


For information about cleaning drapes and electric ranges, please review the Cleaning section of the Single Student Apartment Termination and Checkout Information page.


The surface of upholstered furnishings should be vacuumed whenever dusty or soiled. Clean under cushions, as well. Tables, desks, and chairs should be washed down if badly soiled, sticky, etc., in addition to regular dusting and buffing.


Remove the drain stopper, turn the tap to a medium flow of cold water and keep it running. Scrape food wastes, table scraps, vegetable peelings, rinds, seeds, or coffee grounds into the sink. Flip the switch to "on" and the garbage will go through the disposal. Fibrous materials should be cut or broken up before being added. Large bones, husks, cobs, and fruit pits can clog the disposal, and should be placed, instead, in the garbage along with bottles, cans, plastic, shells and feathers.

Before turning the toggle switch off, let water and disposal both run for about 15 seconds after shredding stops.

Never put lye or other chemical drain pipe cleaners into the disposal since they will cause serious corrosion.

Overload Reset Button. Your disposal motor is protected by an overload thermostat, which automatically shuts off the motor when it overheats. If this happens, wait at least one minute. Then push the red reset button at the bottom of your unit until it stays in an up position. Should your disposal jam, turn the wall switch to "off" and make sure no foreign objects have fallen into the disposal. Flip the disposal wall switch on and off several times. If this fails, contact Housing Maintenance at 509-335-1541.


If your apartment requires maintenance, you may call Housing Services Maintenance (509-335-1541). Excessive maintenance is eventually reflected in the monthly rate; therefore, you are requested to reduce the number of maintenance calls. You will be charged for any repairs that are made due to your neglect or failure to follow directions or exercise normal care.


Frost accumulates on the freezer compartment and should be removed when it becomes 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Do not use a sharp-pointed or sharp-edged instrument, since this may damage the freezer liner, and you will be charged the cost of replacement. Freezers may be defrosted by turning the temperature control to defrost, removing all food items from the refrigerator and freezer compartments and either allowing the unit to sit overnight or placing pans of hot water in the freezer to hasten the defrost process. Once the frost has melted into the chiller tray, dump the water and clean the tray. Wipe down the inside and outside of the freezer and refrigerator with hot soapy water.


Toilets, sinks, and tubs should be cleaned regularly to prevent hard water buildup, yellow rings and mildew. To clean, use a product that is specifically designed to clean bathroom surfaces, hard water and mildew. There are several over the counter products that can be found in the cleaning isles of stores that will work. Please follow all product label directions and precautions when using any chemical for cleaning. Scouring pads made of nylon, saran, or polyethylene not containing abrasives may be used. Do not pour grease or caustic chemicals down drains or allow hair or other refuse to clog the sink. Garbage, paper, or rags placed in the toilet bowl will cause stoppage of sewer lines under the building and sewage water to back up throughout the building.

If it is necessary to provide service because of your negligence, misuse, or improper care of equipment, you must bear the cost. This includes clogged toilets and drains.


You are responsible for removing snow and ice from the steps of your unit to assure safety. Snow shovels are available to you either in your unit or in the nearby laundry room. University maintenance personnel will remove snow from the roofs of units as necessary.

It is expected that residents will cooperate by moving cars from parking lots and streets, upon request, for a designated period of time for snow removal.


WSU is committed to the health and wellbeing of our campus and environment. One area that WSU Pullman is working on to improve the environment is stormwater pollution prevention. To learn more about what you can do please read about the stormwater prevention policy here.


Residents are not permitted to paint their apartments. Walls in all University apartments are painted by Housing Services staff on a scheduled basis. If you feel that the walls in your apartment merit attention, please call the Housing Services Maintenance Office.

Please do not use tape of any kind to fasten pictures to the walls. Picture hooks or small brads may be used, but should be left in place when you move.

Painted walls should be washed with mild detergent and a sponge. Pay attention to those areas prone to excessive smudges or mars such as areas around light switches, behind furniture, and children's rooms. Do not use strong household cleaners or abrasives on painted surfaces.


Broken windows will be replaced and the charge will be assessed against the occupants of the apartment in which the window was repaired. The only exceptions are breakage due to natural causes such as storms or earthquakes.

Wash windows with a mild solution of sudsy ammonia in water.


The recreation centers are located at the south end of campus at Chinook Village and Yakama Village. Recreation centers extend the living area for residents of the University apartment complexes. 

These areas provide:

  • quiet study areas away from the University apartments,
  • space for academically-related programs of residents, and
  • recreational space for residents.

Use Limitations

  • Residents of University apartments must sponsor any activity.
  • Use of University facilities must not obstruct or disrupt educational activities or freedom of movement or other lawful activities on the University campus (WAC 504-20-010).
  • University facilities may not be used by groups, including informal groups, which discriminate in their membership or limit participation in activities on the basis of sex, race, color or national origin.
  • The Constitution of the State of Washington prohibits free use of state facilities for religious worship, exercise, or instruction.
  • Recreation centers may be reserved for political campaigning by or for candidates who have filed for public office when sponsored by a resident who is a member of a recognized student organization.
  • No alcohol is allowed.

Who Can Use the Recreation Center

  • Residents of University apartments may use the recreation center based on the following priorities:
    • A resident may reserve a center for himself or herself and other residents.
    • The Housing Services staff may reserve a center for residents or staff.
    • A resident may reserve a center for himself or herself and for a group of non-residents.
  • Groups wishing to use the facility on a consecutive basis must wait until after the first session to sign up for the third session, and after the second for the fourth, etc.

How to Make a Reservation

Reservations MUST be made a minimum of 14 days in advance.

Email the appropriate apartment coordinator with the preferred day/time for the reservation as well as the purpose of the reservation. Please also include the following personal information: Resident Name, Apartment Complex and Number, WSU ID#, Phone Number, Email Address

Reservations for the use of the Chinook Recreation Center are made with the Chinook North Apartment Coordinator:

Reservations for use of the Yakama Village Lounge can be reserved by contacting the Yakama Village Apartment Coordinator:

Recreation Center Policies

1. All events must end by 12 a.m. for the Chinook Recreation Center and 10 p.m. for the Yakama Lounge.

  1. The maximum number of guests is 75 for the Chinook recreation center and 25 for the Yakama Lounge.

3. No alcohol is to be served or allowed in the Recreation Centers.

4. Functions held on evenings that precede regularly scheduled class days must follow special rules as outlined by the Apartment Coordinator. No events may be held during the period of time that begins with the Sunday preceding Dead Week and ends with the last day of Finals week.

5. The resident requesting the reservation must be present at the event and is responsible for the actions of all guests. This includes ensuring noise is kept at a reasonable level.

6. Any unusual incident that may occur such as personal injury, severe illness, fighting, etc., must be reported to the Apartment Coordinator with a follow-up notification to the Assistant Director of Housing in writing by persons supervising the function. Time, situation, circumstances, names and addresses of persons involved must be included in the report.

7. The Apartment Coordinator may terminate the event immediately if there are any violations of rules or if the event is disruptive.

Recreation Center Use Regulations

Following are the rules and regulations for the use of the Recreation Center at the Chinook complex and the Yakama Village Lounge:

  • Individuals who reserve the Recreation Center are financially responsible for damage or loss of WSU property that occurs during their use of the facility.
  • After using the facilities, clean as follows:
    • Vacuum the carpet and all furniture
    • Return furniture to its original place
    • Wipe counters, chairs, and tables clean
    • Return restrooms to a clean and orderly condition
    • Remove trash to the outdoor containers
    • Pick up litter from the grounds around the building
  • Individuals who reserve the Recreation Center are responsible to see that the premises are secure when the function is over. Close drapes and/or blinds, turn off lights, lock windows and doors and be sure the heat is set at 60°F.
  • Neither WSU nor Housing Services is responsible for loss or theft of any personal property of those using the Recreation Centers.

Should you have further questions, please consult your Apartment Coordinator.

Washington State University subscribes to the principles and laws of the state of Washington and the federal government, including applicable Executive Orders, pertaining to civil rights, equal opportunity, and affirmative action. Washington State University policy prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, sex, including sexual harassment, religion, age, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, physical, mental, or sensory disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and status as a Vietnam-era or disabled veteran in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment, employment, and retention of faculty and staff, and the operation of all University programs, activities, and services. Evidence of practices that are inconsistent with this policy should be reported to the Director, Center for Human Rights, 225 French Administration Building, Pullman, WA 99164-1022