NO INVOICES OR STATEMENTS WILL BE MAILED. Payments are due as scheduled without further demand or notice. Account balances, transactions and due dates can be viewed in myWSU.

Residents (either Residence Hall or Apartment) who have a past due account will receive an electronic "Notice of Overdue Account." This will be found in myWSU. Overdue accounts are subject to a late fee.

Get important reminders and learn more about the timeline for housing and dining charges, financial aid, and tuition charges.

Pay for Housing


Students can make payments for Housing and Dining 24 hours a day, seven days a week, on- line. Click the "Pay" icon in the Quick Links box, OR select the "Make a Payment" button at myWSU after logging in. We accept MasterCard, Discover, American Express, VISA or e-checks as online payments. Parents, payments can be made on behalf of your student if you create a Friend ID.

In Person

Payment may also be made by cash or check at

  • The Bursar's Office in the French Administration Building (and please specify that your payment is for Housing).
  • Checks are payable to "WSU Housing and Dining".

By Mail

Checks are payable to "WSU Housing and Dining" and can be mailed to:

WSU Housing and Dining Financial Services
PO Box 641722
Pullman WA 99164-1722

Please write your WSU ID number on the check.

Residence Dining Accounts Payments

Students may purchase additional dining dollars in late September for fall semester and mid-February for spring semester online at or at the CougarCard office in the Compton Union Building. All dollars added will go directly toward food purchases.

Special Note to WSU Parents

As a parent of a first time student, you may have previously been given access to your student’s records without needing Third Party Access (TPA) from your student.  Under FERPA guidelines starting August 23th, the first day of classes, TPA will be required before  Housing & Dining Financial Services is able to share any detailed information regarding your student’s account. TPA is granted by students accessing their account and going to >Main Menu> Self Service> Third Party Access.