Housing and Residential Life
Safety regulations are based upon common causes of fires in residential structures. They provide you with information to make you and your home fire-safe. If you have questions or desire further information on fire prevention or fire survival, please give your University Fire Department a call at 335-1766.
- Portable space heaters are not permitted.
- Heat producing appliances such as lamps, grow lights, or sun lamps, should not be operated in confined spaces or in close proximity to combustible material.
- Electric cooking equipment such as hot plates and coffee pots must be placed on a non-combustible surface.
- Do not burn candles near combustible material. When using candles, keep a close watch on them.
- All exit-ways, hallways, doorways, stair-ways, landings, and walkways must be kept free at all times of obstructions or impediments to quick exit. This includes aisles in storage rooms. The University reserves the right to remove items that create a hazard.
- Apartments must be kept free from accumulation of rubbish and unwanted items.
- Keep areas near electrical baseboard heaters (Nez Perce and Columbia) clear of combustible materials at all times.
- All ash trays must be non-combustible. Do not use waste baskets as ash trays.
- Kitchen vent hoods, filters, ovens, and burners must be cleaned regularly and kept free of grease build-up.
- Park vehicles no closer than 15 feet from a fire hydrant.
- Keep electrical cords maintained in good condition.
- Do not use extension cords as a substitute for fixed wiring. Do not run extension cords through walls, ceilings, floors, doorways, or windows. Extension cords should not be compressed, coiled, or constitute a tripping hazard.
- Multiple outlet devices which plug directly into outlets are not permitted.
- Extension cords must be no less than 16 gauge. Extension cords used with grounded electrical systems must have three-wire, three-prong, ground protection.
- Electrical wires or fixtures must not be altered or modified.
- Electrical face plates must be replaced if damaged or missing.
- Electrical breaker or fuse panels must be readily accessible and clearly marked. If they are not marked, notify Housing Services Maintenance.
- Test the operation of each battery-powered smoke detector to ensure performance, and change batteries when necessary.
- Holiday decorations must be fireproofed or non-combustible.
Residence Hall Safety
Maintaining a safe and secure residence hall is a high priority at Washington State University. All of our residence halls have fire sprinklers, smoke detectors and comply with National, State and University fire codes. To see educational videos about fire safety in the residence halls, please take a look at these important videos (located at the bottom of the page) provided to us by the Center for Campus Fire Safety.
The living areas of all residence halls are locked 24 hours per day, with the exception of McEachern Hall. Residents are encouraged to take an active role in maintaining a safe and secure residence hall environment. All guests are escorted by their host resident in order to further ensure the safety of the community. Additionally, we have student staff on "duty" walking the floors at night for safety and community development purposes. A professional staff member is on duty 24 hours a day and is accessible through hall staff or the main housing office.
For additional information about living in a Residence Hall room, take a look at this year's housing contract.
If you are interested in bunking your bed please read the information on your residence hall page.
Fire Safety Videos from The Center for Campus Fire Safety
Graduation: Fatally Denied
Depicting a college campus residence hall, in which residents can smoke (and WSU's do not allow smoking), this video shows many ways in which a resident can defeat the fire safety features of a residence hall, resulting in the death of a student. Shot from the perspective of a resident who dies.Play Graduation: Fatally Denied
Dana Christmas Story
An RA tells her powerful story about the Seton Hall fire that killed 3 of her residents. The Seton Hall fire sparked a law that requires sprinklers in residence halls; WSU has had fire sprinklers in its residence halls since the early 90's.Play Christmas Story
Fire Department officers, students, and parents tell the story of the death of a fraternity student at the University of Missouri, Columbia, which was caused by a candle.Play Dominic's Video
Living with Fire
During "Living With Fire Week" fire officials show students at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, how fast a residence hall room will burn, in a demonstration room at their campus, as well as reactions from students that watched.Play Living with Fire
Get Out and Stay Alive
Valuable information about what students need to know when confronted by a fire is shared in this video. Students that survived campus fires recount their stories, their friends that died, and what they wish they would have known. Prevention and preparation ideas are spelled out clearly.Play Get OUt and Stay Alive