A quiet giant, Orton Hall is reserved for students 19 years and older. As with all age restricted halls, Orton is typically quieter and is open during breaks. Some floors are coed by wing.
▼My Residence Hall
Residential Education Director
Click to Email
US Postal Service Address:
Orton Hall xxx
PO Box 1700
Pullman, WA 99163
Fed-Ex, UPS, etc. address:
1475 SE Olympia Ave xxx
Pullman WA 99163
Hall Desk Phone #: 509-335-3306
Walking time to the CUB: 7 minutes
Walking time to the Rec. Center: 15 minutes
- ▼Room AmenitiesSome floors are co-ed by wing; all rooms house only one person. Micro-fridges come furnished in each room.
- ▼Building Features
The meal plan is optional for this residence hall as all floors have full kitchens and microfridges are furnished in each room at no additional cost, and Southside Café is nearby. Orton has a pool table, ping-pong and air hockey tables, a weight room, a vending room with an ice machine, a lobby TV and a big screen TV with stadium seating. A variety of games and equipment are also available at the front desk for residents use. Each floor has a washer and dryer shared by all residents of that floor.
To provide students on the south side of campus with more convenient fitness options, University Recreation has partnered with Housing & Residence Life to create the Down Under Fitness Center in Stephenson Complex. Approximately 3,800 square feet will be dedicated to weight lifting and cardio equipment. The new fitness center will also include two multipurpose group fitness and training rooms. These rooms will also be used for Residence Life programming and events. Opening for the start of fall semester 2015, the fitness center will be accessible by CougarCard to students who pay the Student Recreation Center mandatory fee, or by elected membership.
- ▼First Year FocusFreshmen living in Orton, a coed age-restricted hall, will have option of enrolling in a one of the following First-Year Focus courses: English 101, Music 161, or Geology 101. These courses will be linked with Rogers Hall and provide options appropriate for all majors.
- ▼Floor Plans
- ▼Take a Virtual Tour!
- ▼Photo Gallery
- What furniture comes with the room?
All rooms have closets, twin beds, small chests of drawers, and desks. The rooms have lights over the desks and a ceiling light. Both halls have wall carpeting and remodeled rooms. The beds in both halls can be bunked.
- How long are the bed frames? What is the size of the mattress?
The bed frames are 85"L by 38"W. The mattresses are 80"L by 36"W. Sheets with deep pockets are advisable.
- Can I use a bed riser in my room to raise the bed off the floor to gain storage space under the bed?
- Can I loft my bed in this hall?
Yes, and you can follow the tool-free bed user guide and video. The lofting kits, if not used, must stay in the room as there is no additional space in the hall to store them.
- How much space is under the bed?
Varies because the beds are loftable, but the most space you can have in the unlofted position is 31". The maximum space under the bed when lofted is: 56 ¾".
- Where are the mirrors in my room and the hall?
Each room has a full-length mirror on one closet door. In the hallways, there is a full-length mirror in between the elevators and in the north hallway.
- What are the dimensions of the desks?
The desks have a movable filing cabinet that fits under the desk and is 16" wide by 22" deep by 25" high; these desks have a sliding keyboard drawer.
- What are the dimensions of the dressers?
The dresser is 30" wide by 24" deep by 30" high including three drawers.
- How many outlets are there?
Four double outlets
- Can I bring my own furniture.?
Fitting other furniture in the rooms is difficult, but possible. No storage exists in Orton for your furniture over the summer.
- Is the room carpeted?
Yes. The rooms have wall-to-wall carpeting.
- Are there shelves in the room? What are the dimensions of the shelves?
Yes. There are 4 movable bookshelves, 36" long by 12" deep.
- What are the dimensions of my room?
The rooms are 10' wide by 16'8" long.
- What are the dimensions of the windows?
Windows are 8' wide by 4' tall. A section 2'6" wide by 4 feet tall opens for fresh air.
- Are there any rooms in this hall for people with disabilities?
Yes; several are wheelchair or hearing accessible.
- What public facilities in this hall are accessible?
The hall is generally accessible via a ramp in the front entrance and via elevators.
- Where are the outlets and computer hookups in the rooms?
They are halfway up the wall near the windows. Computer ports share a wall box but have separate outlets.
- How are the common bathrooms arranged?
There are two bathrooms per floor separated by gender. Three stalls per bathroom.
- Are there study lounges?
Each floor has a study lounge, and the Formal Lounge on the top floor has many tables for large group study sessions.
- Where do residents store their bicycles?
In bike racks on the west side of the building. There are no indoor rooms for bike storage.
- What amenities, such as pool tables, weight rooms, etc., does the hall have?
Orton has a pool table, a ping pong table, a weight room, a vending room with an ice machine, a lobby TV, and a big screen TV with stadium seating. A variety of games and equipment are available at the front desk for residents use.
- Where can I do my laundry? How much do the washers and dryers cost?
One front-loading washer and one dryer are available on each floor and shared by all residents of that floor. Laundry costs are included in housing and dining fees.
- How much common storage space does the hall have and where is it located?
Not much; there is one very small room on 12th floor available for storage.
- What is the closest residential dining facility? Where will most of the people in my hall eat
Southside Café. Students in Orton are not required to have a dining account but approximately half do. A Microfridge is provided in each room in the hall and a full kitchen, with a stove, sink, and microwave is available on each floor.
- What kitchen facilities are available for residents in my hall?
Every floor has its own full kitchen with oven, microwave, refrigerator, microwave and sink. The hall has some pots and pans for use, but you will probably want to bring some of your own.
- What are the dimensions of the closets?
The closet is 44.6" wide by 23" deep by 80" high. Another foot of storage space is available above the closet as well. Mirrors are attached to the closets.
- Should I get renter's insurance when I live in University Housing?
Yes! While you may be covered under your parent’s homeowner’s insurance, claims against homeowner’s insurance can be expensive, especially compared to renter’s insurance. Personal property insurance is recommended by WSU. This insurance will cover your belongings if they are accidentally damaged, stolen, vandalized or suffer a loss from water, fire, smoke, etc. It’s very important to purchase coverage (starting at $65 for the year for $2,000 worth of coverage) so that in the event an emergency arises, you will have the funds to replace your items. If a loss occurs, WSU is not responsible. We strongly encourage all students to purchase this insurance as unfortunate situations can and do happen. Here are some common situations that can occur:
1. Water damage from sprinklers going off
2. Fire, smoke, explosion, windstorm
4. Accidental damage
To purchase this coverage, please visit www.studentinsuranceprograms.com/pp . You can also reach our broker that handles this plan (Haylor, Freyer, & Coon, Inc), at 866-535-0456 or firstname.lastname@example.org and they’d be happy to answer any questions that you have and help you enroll.
- What can I use to hang posters and pictures on the walls in this hall? What can I not use?
Please use blue painters tape for posters, and 3M Command strips to hang pictures. If you use 3M Command strips, please do not remove the strips; our staff will remove them over the summer if the room needs to be painted. Please do not use double-sided mounting products, permanent mounting products, blue mounting putty, tacks or push pins, masking tape, or duct tape. Orton has several walls with wall carpeting; please use tacks and pins on these walls, never use 3M Command strips.
- ▼Bed Lofting and Bunking Instructions
- ▼Room Amenities