WSU header
WSU logo

Washington State University

Housing and Residence Life

WSU search logo
Fam/Grad Handbook
Fam/Grad Handbook


View PDF

Family/Graduate Housing Handbook




Welcome to Washington State University and your new home in University Apartments. The   staff of the Housing Services works to provide you with a comfortable, safe and convenient   apartment while attending the University.

We want you to have as much freedom as possible in your personal life, while assuring   a satisfactory and comfortable life for the entire community. To ensure this, we ask   that you keep in mind the rights and privileges of other residents.Since this is a   long-term housing community providing homes for many students for years to come, the   University must see that its interests concerning the property and reputation of its   units are respected. The operation and management of the community depends on the   cooperation of its residents. Because the University wants to maintain good will and keep   its relationship with residents at the highest possible level, we welcome ideas directed   toward the betterment of the community.

Communication plays an important role in establishing   positive relationships.Therefore, we will keep you informed on all matters affecting the   welfare of the community.When we find it necessary to make changes in policy or regulations,   we will notify you.Ordinarily, we will post notices on bulletin boards and in   public areas. Depending on the nature of the subject matter,we may deliver or mail letters   to individual residents or use the online student portal.

Our offices are open to serve you 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday - Friday.



Housing Services





Housing Financial Services




Housing Reservations




Housing Maintenance







To better facilitate communication and programming, Housing Services staffs each   apartment complex with an Apartment Coordinator. The coordinator acts as liaison   between the residents and Housing Services in matters affecting the livability and use   of the facilities and is responsible for the general welfare of the residents living in   the complex. The coordinator assists the residents and Housing Services in preventing   unauthorized, illegal, or improper use of the facilities.


Coordinators are also responsible for planning a variety of community building   events throughout the year, such as barbecues, holiday celebrations, and other   activities depending on the needs of the community.


Residents of university-operated apartments should feel free at any time to contact   the Apartment Coordinator living in their area with concerns and questions regarding   physical facilities, community living, and student services offered by WSU.


If you have any questions after reading this booklet, please call or visit your   Apartment Coordinator:









Chief Joseph







Chinook (south) p-z







Chinook (north) a-n





















Nez Perce







Steptoe (East) a-f, k-p







Steptoe (West) g-j, q-x














Valley Crest




















If you have or are thinking about purchasing a window air conditioner,   please remember- ALL window air conditioners must be installed by housing   maintenance personnel, and there will be a one-time $50.00 charge for installation,   removal and supplies.Call 335-1541 to make an appointment for installation.




Residents are required to file an online Notice of Termination 90   days prior to their departure. Residents who fail to provide notice 90-days in advance   of their departure will be charged 90 days rent from the date Housing Reservations   receives the online termination notice.


Terminating- To notify Housing Services of your intention to vacate,   you must complete an online termination notice through your housing application. If you   are unsure of the exact date you will be leaving, please give us the last possible date   you think you would be in the apartment.


RentAdjustments - Your rent will be adjusted for the date you   actually vacate after your keys are returned. The full rent will be charged for the   month you will be leaving.


Rent will be adjusted once your keys are in and the checkout has been completed.You   need only pay for the nights you believe you will be in residence – monthly rent   divided by 30 times number of nights you will be in the apartment.


Checking Out- You do not need to be present when we check your apartment.   If


you turn your keys into the Housing Reservations Office,we will check out   the apartment after you have left.


If you would like to be present at the checkout, you must schedule a checkout at least   two days in advance of your departure by calling Housing Reservations (335-4577).   Appointments are scheduled between 8:30 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. You   must be ready to turn in your keys and leave the apartment when your scheduled checkout   takes place. If you schedule your checkout prior to the time you will be leaving, you   will be assessed a $25 return charge as we will need to return and complete the checkout when   the apartment has been completely vacated.If you are present at the time   of checkout,damage or cleaning charges may be reviewed with the Housing Services staff   person conducting the check-out. Damage and cleaning charges will be deducted from your   damage deposit. If you are not present for the checkout, the findings of the Housing   Services will prevail.


Cleaning- Apartments must be cleaned according to the cleaning   guidelines. All trash and personal property must be removed from the apartment, balcony,   deck,and patio. Storage units must be thoroughly cleaned and all items   removed. You will be assessed any costs incurred by the University for cleaning and removal   of personal property after you vacate the rental unit


Keys- You are considered in residence as long as your keys remain checked   out.Failure to return them when you vacate the unit could result in your   paying additional rent charges.All keys must be returned to either the   Custodial Supervisor during a scheduled checkout, Housing Reservations desk at   Streit-Perham, or the Apartment Key Return drop box outside of the Housing office   entrance at Streit-Perham. Failure to return all door keys at the time you vacate the   apartment will result in a $60 non-refundable lock change fee.A missing mail key   will result in a non-refundable$10 fee. You will be charged $5 for each missing laundry   key.Housing Services should be provided with a forwarding address on your key envelope,   so that refunds can be mailed to you.




Parents are responsible for the behavior of their children while in residence at   WSU. For the safety oftthe children and other residents, young children should not be   left alone in Family Housing units.


For the safety and well-being of all children on the playground,children are expected   to respect the rights of other children and use the playground equipment in a proper   manner.You are responsible for the behavior ofyour children.

    • Young children must be supervised by an adult at all times.
    • Children under the age of 5 must be accompanied by an adult on the playground or     while outdoors.
    • Toys your child brings into the play area must not be dangerous to children.
    • Children should not climb on trees, roofs, dumpsters, etc.
    • Threatening actions, inappropriate language, and fighting are not     acceptable.
    • Children should not play in or on autos,roadways, or parking lots.
    • For reasons of safety, all types of outdoor wading/swimming pools must be     drained if not attended by an adult at all times.
    • Please be sure that your children pickup toys and park bikes in appropriate     areas.
    • Please be aware of the noise levels produced by your children. Remember that others     may be trying tosleep, relax, or study
    • Do not allow your children to play outside past 9p.m.




For more information about assignment policy please review the information under the   Assignment and Cancellation Policies section of the Family/Graduate Student Contracts and Policies   webpage.




For more information about our furniture rental program please review the information   under the Furniture Rental section of the Family/Graduate Student Contracts and Policies   webpage.




Garbage and trash collection is included in the rental charge. Please use the   dumpsters located throughout your area for the deposit of all trash and garbage. The   dumpsters will be emptied weekly by a local sanitation service. Recycling bins are also   available in all apartment complexes.




Housing Services has set aside a specific area for residents to have a garden.   This is the only area that residents can plant vegetables and flowers.   Contact your Apartment Coordinator for information. Residents may be asked to pay   a fee to cover the tilling of the garden area. Residents must supply their own tools   and hoses.



Alternatives to Violence


  Crisis/Emergency:(509) 332-4357


Alternatives to Violence (ATV) serve victims of sexual assault and domestic violence   in Whitman and Latah Counties. Advocates are available 24 hours a day to help victims.   Services are confidential and free. ATV provides a safe shelter for persons who are   unable to live in their own homes due to threat of violence or sexual assault. If you   or a friend needs us, we'll be there.


Child Care Resource and Referral



 ChildCare Resource and Referral provides referrals to child care services in Pullman,   including family day care, center care, nursery and after-school programs,and   other services relating to children and families. The goal of the services is to help   families locate the services and programs that best meet the needs of their children. The   service is free of charge. For information about how to assess your child care needs, and   then how to go about finding that care, please visitor call this office.


Crisis Line


Phone: (509)332-1505


When you need to talk call (332-1505). The crisis line offers 24-hours crisis   service for callers who need to talk as well as a consultation and referral service   that connects callers with appropriate university and community agencies.


Counseling Services


Phone: (509)335-4511


Counseling Services offers students the opportunity to explore many areas of concern   -- personal, social, educational, substance abuse -- with a professional counselor. A   variety of personal growth opportunities are available; these include counseling and   support groups, psychological testing, and presentations and workshops that address   academic, interpersonal and social issues. Crisis consultation is available on a   24-hour basis. The counseling process is confidential.


Office of University Ombudsman


Phone: (509)335-1195


The University Ombudsman is an independent, impartial observer appointed to help   resolve problems that may arise in a large, bureaucratic organization like the   University. Students, staff, or faculty members may contact the Ombudsman's Office for   confidential assistance with a problem or a grievance, or with suggestions about how to   make WSU procedures more equitable and sensitive to individual needs. The Ombudsman's   Office is especially helpful with problems that have not been resolved through normal   channels. The Ombudsman does not replace University appeal procedures but functions as   a source of information and help concerning rules, regulations, and procedures of the   University.


Re-Entry Program


Phone: (509)335-1464



The Re-Entry Program assists students who have been away from an educational setting   by providing information, referrals, and other assistance. Our goal is to help students   meet the challenge of their multiple roles of student, spouse, parent, employee,   etc.


Health and Wellness Services


Emergency: (509)335-3575


Business: (509)335-3575


The services of physicians and nurses are available for primary care of illnesses   and injuries. Women's clinic, Wart clinic, and Psychiatric consultation are also   available.


Call for an appointment; Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm, Saturday morning 8am -   12am.


WSU Police


Business: (509)335-8548


Emergency: 911


The WSU Police Department provides all police functions for the University. In   addition, it serves as a visitor information center, conducts crime prevention   discussions, and provides fingerprinting for employment applications and retrieval of   keys locked inside vehicles.




State and University policy states that all state buildings be supplied with heat up to   72*F. Housing Services Maintenance will not respond to calls to increase winter heating   levels above that temperature.


Requests for additional heat under special circumstances (such as illness)will   be considered when possible. Maintenance will do everything possible to obtain   the maximum comfort temperature as long as you keep windows and doors   closed.



Housing Services strongly recommends that you obtain "Renter's Insurance"covering your   personal possessions from damage due to fire, water, burglary,vandalism,theft or other   causes, as Housing Services shall not be liable for any such loss or damage. Brochures   for personal property insurance through Haylor, Freyer, and Coon inc.are available at   the Housing Reservations office.




When you move into your apartment, you will find a completed inventory form in the   kitchen. For your own protection, take time to review it. This form should list the   condition of all furnishings and note any damage to your apartment or its contents. Add   any damages or missing items not already listed on the form. Sign and return the form   within two working days to the Reservations office at Housing Services in the   Streit-Perham Building. This procedure ensures that you will not be charged for these   damages or missing items when you check out. Any damages NOT noted on the form   at the beginning of occupancy will be assumed to have occurred during occupancy and   will be charged to you.


Residents will be billed for the replacement cost of any University-supplied item   not accounted for at checkout. After you turn in your inventory   form, any further damage that occurs during your occupancy that you feel is not your   responsibility should be reported in writing immediately to Housing   Services in the Streit-Perham Building.


Damages include, but are not limited to, damages by repairmen, contractors,   vandalism, storms, or faulty construction. If you do not report such damages, you will   be charged for them when you move out. Damage done by your guests is your   responsibility.



 For current information, please review the section about keys in the Family/Graduate Apartment   Rental Agreement.



 Centrally-located laundry rooms with coin-operated washers and dryers areprovided in   each area.


Please report out-of-order machines to the Housing Services Maintenance   Office(335-1541). Place a sign on the machine indicating that the machine is out of order   and has been reported.


Exterior clotheslines are prohibited in all apartment complexes. Clothes racks maybe   used for drying on the decks but must be removed when not in use.


Please do not prop laundry room doors open. This creates a danger for children who   may wander inside to play.


Laundry facilities are only for the residents of your apartment complex.




Housing Services personnel maintain the lawn and grounds in all University Housing   areas. Do not use the grounds in such a way as to cause damage.


The only acceptable place to plant flowers or vegetables are in designated complex   garden areas, in small planter boxes on your porch or in front of the   apartment with the approval of your Apartment Coordinator. All residents are   responsible for keeping all trash picked up within the complex.


Motor vehicle owners must refrain from driving vehicles on lawns and planted areas.   No motor vehicles, including motorcycles or mopeds, will be permitted to park on the   planted areas on University property. Please advise moving van and delivery truck   drivers not to drive their trucks on the sidewalks and lawns. If a van damages the   sidewalks or lawns, please advise Housing Services of the name of the van line and date   of the occurrence so that corrective action can be taken against the company or movers;   otherwise, the resident occupying the apartment will be charged.




Carriers from the Pullman post office deliver mail to the mailbox of each   apartment provided you have your name on the mailbox. Mailboxes are   normally grouped together in the vicinity of the apartments they serve.


When you vacate your unit, be sure to file a forwarding address (Post Office   Departmental Form 3575) with the US Post Office at least three   weeks prior to your move. The University does not forward mail delivered to   University-operated apartments or issue keys to ex-residents for purposes of mail   retrieval.




Housing Emergency Maintenance: (509)335-1541

 The Emergency Maintenance staff will respond after business hours to all facilities   emergencies. A Trouble Shooter may call you to receive an accurate description of the   emergency. Please utilize this service only in case of emergency.




Residents of family housing can expect to hear normal noise from furniture   being moved,people walking, children playing, and perhaps television, radio or   stereo.Family apartments are primarily living spaces and may not be conducive to studying   for some people. You may find it easier to study in the libraries or other designated areas on   campus.


Residents are encouraged to monitor both the level of noise and the time of day when   creating noise.


If you experience what you consider to be unreasonable noise from a neighbor,please talk to them personally. If the noise problem continues,you may wish to ask the Apartment Coordinator to help. The Coordinator will assess the noise, and,   if necessary, speak to the resident.If the Coordinator is unable to help you and your   neighbor reach a solution, the matter will be taken to the Assistant Director of   Housing Services for further action. Noise problems of an unresolved or severe nature   may result in the termination of the rental agreement.




For current information, please review the section about keys in the Family/Graduate Apartment   Rental Agreement.




If you find bugs or rodents in your apartment please call Housing Maintenance at   (509)335-1541.


WSU reserves the right to treat your apartment if the University Environmental   Health Department has determined that a problem requiring treatment exists within a   building or complex.


Residents will be notified in advance and a date will be scheduled for the work. You   will be notified of preparations to be made before treatment. If you do not complete   the preparations before the scheduled treatment takes place, the cost of the work will   be charged to you.


Preparations for Cockroach Treatment


o    Floors must be washed.


o    Stoves and refrigerators must be pulled out and cleaned under and   behind. Leave appliances out.


o    Empty ALL items   from ALL kitchen and bathroom cabinets, cupboards, drawers,   etc. and CLEAN surfaces. Pull and leave drawers completely   out.


o    Cover dishes and food items with a sheet or newspaper.


o    Cover fish tanks.


o    Move furniture and other items away from baseboards (approx. one foot   (12 inches)).


o    Leave all windows closed.


Treatment of Premises



o    Authorized pest control materials are applied to cabinets, drawers,   baseboards, behind appliances, etc.


o    Premises are fogged.


Re-Entry into Premises


o    Tenants must be out of premises for at least two hours after   treatment is completed.


o    Open windows to air premises out.


o    Wash counter tops off.


o    DO NOT return dishes and food items to cabinets, drawers, etc. until   completely dry. The applied materials will not come off surfaces after drying. Line   bottom of cabinets and drawers with shelf liner or newspaper.


o    DO NOT wash cabinets, drawers, etc. after treatment.



 For current information, please review the section about pets in the Family/Graduate Apartment   Rental Agreement.




Frozen Pipes


Do not turn the heat off. Sufficient heat must be maintained   through the night and during periods of absence to prevent the interior temperature   from dropping below 60°F.


During winter months, it may be helpful to leave your bathroom door open and to open   all cupboard doors under the sink so heat can circulate under the pipes.


If pipes freeze due to your negligence, the necessary thawing and repair costs will   be charged to you.


ALL RESIDENTS - IMPORTANT! - Cold Weather Precautions


If you leave your apartment for more than one day during the cold season, notify   Housing Services Maintenance (335-1541) or your Apartment Coordinator so that an   occasional check of your unit can be made. Such inspections protect both you and the   University and are in accordance with the terms of the rental agreement.


If Housing Services is not informed of your absence and severe weather damage   occurs to your empty unit, you will be held solely responsible and will be charged for   any necessary repairs.




The resident must pay for costs of opening and repairing plumbing and other repairs   that arise due to clogging or stoppage by any material, substance or object placed in   the plumbing.




Rental Agreements and rents for family housing units commence on the date specified in   the Family Housing Rental Agreement and continue on a month-to-month basis until a   written ninety-day notice is given by either party, or until the end date on the   agreement, whichever comes first. Your signature on the Rental Agreement indicates your   intention to abide by the terms specified in that Agreement. Residents will be required to   signa new Rental Agreement each spring if they plan to live in Family Housing that   fall.




Rent payments are due on the 1st of each month. Payment can be made online from the WSU   Student Information System Portal (, in person at the Housing   & Dining Financial Services, A. E. McCartan Suite/Streit-Perham Building, or mailed   to Housing and Dining Services, Washington State University,PO Box 641722, Pullman, WA.   99164-1722.  Indicate your student ID number.


Your rent runs from the 1st through the 31st of each month. Residents moving in or out   during a month, will be charged a pro-rated rental amount.Rental charges begin on the   assigned Move-in date and will end the day keys are returned.


Monthly rental payments are due on the first day of each month.


Delinquent accounts will be charged a late penalty of $25 for each month for   which delinquency occurs, unless advance arrangements have been made with Housing and   Dining Financial Services at 335-8625. Overdue accounts may   prevent the release of transcripts and registration for classes. You will be charged   an insufficient fund fee if your check is returned to Housing and Dining   Financial Services because of insufficient funds.


WSU reserves the right to revise rental rates during the period of the lease.   You will be given at least 60 days notice of rental increases, so you can make   other accommodations if you so desire.




Safety regulations are based upon common causes of fires in residential structures.   They provide you with information to make you and your home fire-safe. If you have   questions or desire further information on fire prevention or fire survival, please   contact WSU Fire at (335-1766).

  • Portable space heaters are not permitted.
  • Heat producing appliances such as lamps, grow lights, or sun lamps, should not be     operated in confined spaces or in close proximity to combustible material.
  • Electric cooking equipment such as hot plates and coffee pots must be placed on a     non-combustible surface.
  • Do not burn candles near combustible material. When using candles, keep a close     watch on them.
  • All exits, hallways, doorways, stairways, landings, and walkways must be kept     free of obstructions or impediments to quick exit at all times. This includes aisles     in storage rooms. The University reserves the right to remove items that create a     hazard.
  • Apartments must be kept free from accumulation of rubbish and unwanted     items.
  • Keep areas near electrical baseboard heaters clear of combustible materials at     all times.
  • All ashtrays must be noncombustible. Do not use wastebaskets as ashtrays.
  • Kitchen vent hoods, filters, ovens, and burners must be cleaned regularly and     kept free of grease buildup.
  • Park vehicles no closer than 15 feet from a fire hydrant.
  • Keep electrical cords maintained in good condition.
  • Do not use extension cords as a substitute for fixed wiring. Do not run extension     cords through walls, ceilings, floors, doorways, or windows. Extension cords should     not be compressed, coiled, or constitute a tripping hazard.
  • Multiple outlet devices that plug directly into outlets are not permitted.
  • Extension cords must be no less than 16 gauge. Extension cords used with grounded     electrical systems must have three-wire, three-prong, ground protection.
  • Electrical wires or fixtures must not be altered or modified.
  • Electrical faceplates must be replaced if damaged or missing.
  • Electrical breaker or fuse panels must be readily accessible and clearly marked.     If they are not marked, notify Housing Services Maintenance.
  • Test the operation of each battery-powered smoke detector monthly to ensure     performance, and change batteries when necessary.
  • Holiday decorations must be fireproofed or non-combustible.



A smoke detector has been installed in each apartment as an early warning   fire detection device.State law requires a periodic check of the detector to ensure   that it is working properly. Change the battery when necessary (usually once a year).


If the detector malfunctions for some reason other than a bad battery, please   notify Housing Services Maintenance. If Housing Services Maintenance finds that you   have tampered with the smoke detector or removed the battery, you will be charged   for repair and/or replacement of battery. Persons who tamper with fire   alarm systems/smoke detectors are subject to civil penalties/fines. The Fire   Department will be notified when fire alarm systems/smoke detectors have been tampered   with.



All WSU apartments are smoke-free as of July 1, 2013. If individuals are   outside smoking, they need to be 25 feet away from building entrances and windows.

  Housing Services reserves the right to bill students who smoke in the apartment the costs associated   with removing any odors,tar and nicotine residue,or any costs associated with replacing drapes,carpets,furniture,and painting walls.




A storage locker is provided for each resident of Steptoe,Terrace, and   Kamiak in centrally-located storage rooms. You must provide your own padlock for   your locker.You are responsible for keeping the locker in order and free from any   fire hazards. Fire codes require that aisles in the storage rooms be kept free and   clear at all times. No personal belongings of any kind may be left in the storage   room aisles. Items found in aisles will be removed by housing personnel and   discarded. Residents of Valley Crest will find additional storage space located directly   off the kitchen.

Storage spaces for residents of Yakama are located adjacent to deck areas in each

Personal belongings may not be stored next to buildings, on lawns, or in   stairwells.Couches and stuffed chairs may not be used or stored on decks or balconies.

 Use only the locker assigned to you. Items found in lockers not belonging to current   residents will be removed and disposed of in a timely manner.


Residents store their belongings at thei rown risk. The University does not   accept responsibility for any lost, damaged, or stolen items.




For safety purposes, report inoperative street or parking lot lights to the Housing   Services Maintenanc eDepartment (509-335-1541).




For more information about summer storage please review the information on the Summer Storagepage.




You are responsible for arranging and paying for your own telephone   service. Residentsof all complexes except Yakama have a choice   between General Telephone Company(Verizon) at 1-800-483-4100 or Information   Technology(I.T.)at 509-335-4357 for phone service.


Residents of family housing are requested to report their telephone numbers as soon as   possible to the Apartment Coordinator for their records. These numbers will not be given   out but are for use by the Apartment Coordinators. The campus directory will list the   telephone numbers you input in your online student account on ZZUsis.





For more information about assignment policy please review the information under the   Termination and Checkout Policies section of the Family/Graduate Student Contracts and Policies   webpage.




An application to transfer to another apartment may be granted if space exists.   A transfer application must be completed and filed online through your housing   application prior to consideration for a transfer.


Transferring residents possess the keys to both the current and new unit.   Transfers must be completed in a timely manner. Residents who do not complete the   transfer within 5 days are subject to rental charges for both apartments.


Checkout Procedures


Follow the same checkout procedures that are listed at the beginning of this   handbook for permanent checkouts.


Cleaning - If you transfer to a different rental unit,   the vacated unit must be left in a clean and orderly condition. You will be assessed   for individual cleaning and damage charges as applicable.


RentalCharges - Rent in the new unit begins on the date stated in   the rental


    1. Normally, a period of five days is allowed for a move without overlapping rent.     Checkout of the original unit should take place no later than five days after the date     rent begins in the new unit.




For information about television cable and satellite systems, please visit   the Utility   Services page.




For information about apartment utilities, please visit   the Utilities page.




If you intend to install a waterbed in your apartment, you must present evidence at   check-in that you have waterbed liability protection in an amount of at least $50,000.   Residents who bring water beds into University-owned housing facilities without   presenting evidence of current insurance coverage will be required to remove the beds   within three days or vacate the premises in accordance with provisions of the rental   agreement.




For information about weapons and explosives, please review the Weapons section of   the Family/Graduate Apartment   Rental Agreement.








No additional material/equipment may be attached to the interior or exterior of   walls, ceilings or floors without the written approval from the Assistant Director of   Housing Services. If approval is given, the material/equipment must be left with the   unit at the termination of occupancy. The purpose of this practice is to avoid the   installation and removal of items that would eventually cause an unsightly appearance   to the walls, ceilings, and floors.




You may not barbecue on decks or balconies or store propane operated   grills.Motorcycles or other gasoline-powered vehicles cannot be stored on or near   these areas. Residents are asked to refrain from using decks as storage areas, or   from attaching clotheslines to exterior walls, posts, or frames. Couches and   stuffed chairs may not be used or stored on decks or balconies.


Balconies and decks are not designed to support the weight of hot tubs or   Jacuzzis,and should not be used for such purposes.




Carpets should be vacuumed once weekly or more often, depending on spillage and the   amount of soil carried in. Spillage should be cleaned up immediately to prevent staining.   Water should not be allowed to stand on either carpets or vinyl floors. This will damage   the floor covering, and repair costs will be charged to the residents. The   vinyl floor should be cleaned and mopped regularly but does not require waxing. We advise   against the use of acrylic floor finishers and waxes containing solvents, as improper use   of these products causes serious maintenance problems.




Do not place hot cooking utensils onto the counter tops and do not use the counter tops   as cutting surfaces. You will be charged for any damage caused b ymisuse.




For information about cleaning drapes and electric ranges, please review the   Cleaning section of the Family/Graduate Apartment Termination   and Checkout Information page. 




The surface of upholstered furnishings should be vacuumed whenever dusty or soiled.   Clean under cushions, as well. Tables, desks, and chairs should be washed down if badly   soiled, sticky, etc., in addition to regular dusting and buffing.




Remove the drain stopper, turn the tap to a medium flow of cold water and keep it   running. Scrape food wastes, table scraps, vegetable peelings, cobs, rinds, seeds, or   coffee grounds into the sink. Flip the switch to "on" and the garbage will go through   the disposal. Fibrous materials should be cut or broken up before being added. Large   bones, husks and fruit pits can clog the disposal, and should be placed, instead, in   the garbage along with bottles, cans, plastic, shells and feathers.


Before turning the toggle switch off, let water and disposal both run for about 15   seconds after shredding stops.


Never put lye or other chemical drain pipe cleaners into the disposal since they   will cause serious corrosion.


Overload Reset Button. Your disposal motor is protected by an overload thermostat,   which automatically shuts off the motor when it overheats. If this happens, wait at   least one minute. Then push the red reset button at the bottom of your unit until it   stays in an up position. Should your disposal jam, turn the wall switch to "off" and   make sure no foreign objects have fallen into the disposal. Flip the disposal wall   switch on and off several times. If this fails, turn the switch off, and insert a   long-handled screwdriver or broom handle until it touches the turntable. Push in one   direction, then the other, until the turntable turns freely. Loud noises while your   disposal is operating are usually caused by accidental entry of a metal or wooden   object.




If your apartment requires maintenance, you may call Housing Services Maintenance   (509-335-1541). Excessive maintenance is eventually reflected in the rental rate;   therefore, you are requested to reduce the number of maintenance calls. You will be   charged for any repairs that are made due to your neglect or failure to follow   directions or exercise normal care.




Frost accumulates on the freezer compartment and should be removed when it becomes   1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Do not use a sharp-pointed or sharp-edged instrument, since this   may dam­age the freezer liner, and you will be charged the cost of replacement.   Freezers may be defrosted by turning the temperature control to defrost, removing all   food items from the refrigerator and freezer compartments and either allowing the unit   to sit overnight or placing pans of hot water in the freezer to hasten the defrost   process. Once the frost has melted into the chiller tray, dump the water and clean the   tray. Wipe down the inside and outside of the freezer and refrigerator with hot soapy   water.




Toilets, sinks, and tubs should be cleaned regularly to prevent hard water buildup,   yellow rings and mildew. To clean, use a product that is specifically designed to clean   bathroom surfaces, hard water and mildew. Please follow all product label directions   and precautions when using any chemical for cleaning. Scouring pads made of nylon,   saran, or polyethylene not containing abrasives may be used. Do not pour grease or   caustic chemicals down drains or allow hair or other refuse to clog the sink. Garbage,   paper, or rags placed in the toilet bowl will cause stoppage of sewer lines under the   building and sewage water to back up throughout the building.


If it is necessary to provide service because of your negligence, misuse, or   improper care of equipment, you must bear the cost. This includes clogged toilets and   drains.




You are responsible for removing snow and ice from the steps of your unit to assure   safety. University maintenance personnel will remove snow from the roofs of units as   necessary.


It is expected that residents will cooperate by moving cars from parking lots and   streets, upon request, for a designated period of time for snow removal.




WSU is committed to the health and well being of our campus and environment.    One area that WSU Pullman is working on to improve the environment is stormwater   pollution prevention. To learn more about what you can do please read




Residents are not permitted to paint their apartments. Walls in all University   apartments are painted by Housing Services staff on a scheduled basis. If you feel that   the walls in your apartment merit attention, please call the Housing Services   Maintenance Office (509-335-1541.)


Please do not use tape of any kind to fasten pictures to the walls. Picture hooks or   small brads may be used, but should be left in place when you move.


Painted walls should be washed with mild detergent and a sponge. Pay attention to   those areas prone to excessive smudges or mars such as areas around light switches,   behind furniture, and children's rooms. Do not use strong household cleaners or   abrasives on painted surfaces.




Broken windows will be replaced and the charge will be assessed against the   occupants of the apartment in which the window was repaired. The only exceptions are   breakage due to natural causes such as storms or earthquakes.


Wash windows with a mild solution of sudsy ammonia in water.




The recreation centers are located at the south end of campus at Chinook   Village and Yakama Village. Recreation centers extend the living area for residents of   the University apartment complexes. 


These areas provide:


  • quiet study areas away from the University apartments,
  • space for academically-related programs of residents, and
  • recreational space for residents.


Use Limitations


  • Residents of University apartments must sponsor any activity.
  • Use of University facilities must not obstruct or disrupt educational activities     or freedom of movement or other lawful activities on the University campus (WAC     504-20-010).
  • University facilities may not be used by groups, including informal groups, which     discriminate in their membership or limit participation in activities on the basis of     sex, race, color or national origin.
  • The Constitution of the State of Washington prohibits free use of state     facilities for religious worship, exercise, or instruction.
  • Recreation centers may be reserved for political campaigning by or for candidates     who have filed for public office when sponsored by a resident who is a member of a     recognized student organization.
  • No alcohol is allowed.


Who Can Use the Recreation Center


  • Residents of University apartments may use the recreation center based on the     following priorities:


    • A resident may reserve a center for himself or herself and other         residents.
    • The Housing Services staff may reserve a center for residents or staff.
    • A resident may reserve a center for himself or herself and for a group of         non-residents.
  • Groups wishing to use the facility on a consecutive basis must wait until after     the first session to sign up for the third session, and after the second for the     fourth, etc.


How to Make a Reservation


Reservations MUST be made a minimum of 14 days in advance.


Email the appropriate apartment coordinator with the preferred day/time for the   reservation as well as the purpose of the reservation. Please also include the   following personal information: Resident Name, Apartment Complex and Number, WSU ID#,   Phone Number, Email Address


Reservations for the use of the Chinook recreation center are made with the Chinook   North Apartment Coordinator:


Reservations for use of the Yakama Village Lounge can be reserved by contacting the   Yakama Village Apartment Coordinator:


Recreation Center Policies


  1. All events must end by 12 a.m. for the Chinook recreation center and 10 p.m. for     the Yakama Lounge.
  2. No alcohol is to be served or allowed in the Recreation     Centers.
  3. Functions held on evenings that precede regularly scheduled class days must     follow special rules as outlined by the Apartment Coordinator. No events may be held     during the period of time that begins with the Sunday preceding Dead Week and ends     with the last day of Finals week.
  4. The resident requesting the reservation must be present at the event and is     responsible for the actions of all guests. This includes ensuring noise is kept at a     reasonable level.
  5. Any unusual incident that may occur such as personal injury, severe illness,     fighting, etc., must be reported to the Apartment Coordinator with a follow-up     notification to the Assistant Director of Housing in writing by persons supervising     the function. Time, situation, circumstances, names and addresses of persons involved     must be included in the report.
  6. The Apartment Coordinator may terminate the event immediately if there are any     violations of rules or if the event is disruptive.
  1. The maximum number of guests is 75 for the Chinook recreation center and 25 for     the Yakama Lounge.


Recreation Center Use Regulations


Following are the rules and regulations for the use of the Recreation Center at the   Chinook complex and the Yakama Village Lounge:


  • Individuals who reserve the Recreation Center are financially responsible for     damage or loss of WSU property that occurs during their use of the facility.
  • After using the facilities, clean as follows:  
    • Vacuum the carpet and all furniture
    • Return furniture to its original place
    • Wipe counters, chairs, and tables clean
    • Return restrooms to a clean and orderly condition
    • Remove trash to the outdoor containers
    • Pick up litter from the grounds around the building
  • Individuals who reserve the Recreation Center are responsible to see that the     premises are secure when the function is over. Close drapes and/or blinds, turn off     lights, lock windows and doors and be sure the heat is set at 60°F.
  • Neither WSU nor Housing Services is responsible for loss or theft of any personal     property of those using the Recreation Centers.


Should you have further questions, please consult your Apartment Coordinator.


Washington State University subscribes to the principles and laws of the state of   Washington and the federal government, including applicable Executive Orders,   pertaining to civil rights, equal opportunity, and affirmative action. Washington State   University policy prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, sex, including sexual   harassment, religion, age, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, physical, mental,   or sensory disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and status as a Vietnam-era   or disabled veteran in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment,   employment, and retention of faculty and staff, and the operation of all University   programs, activities, and services. Evidence of practices that are inconsistent with   this policy should be reported to the Director, Center for Human Rights, 225 French   Administration Building, Pullman, WA 99164-1022